I love thinking of and talking about ways to make extra money.
Like most people in my generation, I graduated college with my fair share of student loan debt. And let’s be real, life is just expensive in general. And rather than just getting by, paying my bills and being able to put a little extra in savings, I want to reach real financial freedom someday.
And I truly believe that side hustles and extra income will be able to change my life – and yours too! Because of that, I’m sharing 35 ways to make extra money!
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. For more information, see my full disclosure policy here.
35+ LEGIT WAYS TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY
Start a Side Hustle
1. Start a blog: This one is first on the list because it’s seriously my favorite of all the ways to make extra money! Blogging started as just a hobby for me, but as soon as I realized the income potential, I dove right in! You can check out my tutorial for how to start a blog to learn how to start your own!
2. Become an influencer: These days, it’s possible to make money with your online presence without even having a blog! If you have a significant following on social media, you can become an influencer and get paid to promote brands on social media (primarily Instagram). My favorite resource for becoming an influencer is the course Making Sense of Sponsored Posts.
3. Start an Etsy shop: If you’re a crafty person, Etsy is definitely for you! Etsy is an online marketplace where you can sell anything that is handmade or vintage. My favorite resource for getting started with an Etsy shop is the course Mastermind Your Marketing.
4. Freelance writing: Not only can you make money writing for your own blog, but you can become a freelance writer and make from other sites as well! I love using freelance writing as a way to supplement the money I make from my own blog. The best way to learn about freelance writing is through the course Earn More Writing, which is what I used to help me make money through freelance writing.
5. Editing: In addition to freelance writing jobs, you can also find freelance editing jobs. Lots of blogs and websites hire freelances to edit their articles for them.
6. Affiliate marketing: Affiliate marketing is where you make a commission selling someone else’s product. Bloggers make a lot of money with affiliate marketing, but you definitely don’t have to have a blog to be successful at affiliate marketing! You can share affiliate links anywhere, such as your social media pages, and make a commission when someone uses them. My absolute favorite resource for learning all things affiliate marketing is the course Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing.
7. Become a virtual assistant: More and more companies and individuals are hiring virtual assistants, so it’s becoming a and more and more lucrative career. A virtual assistant (or VA) does administrative tasks for a person or business, but it’s done online instead of having to go into an office.
8. Social media management: If you love being on social media and figuring out social media strategy, you can become a social media manager for other companies. Many companies and websites outsource their social media management rather than bring on someone full-time to handle it.
9. Sell your photography: If you’re good with a camera, you can use that to make extra money. You could become a part-time photographer and take on jobs on the weekends, or you can sell your photography to a number of different stock photo sites.
10. Start a different business: The options for online business are pretty endless these days, and chances are you can take something you’re passionate about and figure out how to make money from it online.
11. Self-publish books: These days it’s surprisingly easy to publish a book. Here’s a guide on how to make money publishing your own books on Kindle!
Make Extra Money Online
12. Sign up for Ebates: If you shop online, Ebates is seriously the easiest way to make extra money because it gives you FREE cash back on purchases you’re already making! You just sign up and click on a link through the Ebates website when you make your purchase, and you’ll get cash back. You can sign up for Ebates here and get $10 when you spend your first $25!
13. Get cash back on groceries: Apps like Ibotta allow you to get cash back on groceries you already purchase! You just upload a picture of your receipt, and you’ll earn cash back on certain grocery purchases. I use Ibotta every week and ALWAYS find something to get cash back on.
14. Teach English online: These days it’s super easy to find work teaching English online, and companies like VIPKID actually pay you really well to do it. You can get paid $17-$22 per hour and make your own schedule.
15. Airbnb: If you’ve got an extra room in your home, try renting it out on Airbnb! There are even people who purchase rental properties just to rent them out on Airbnb. If you live in a popular city, you can seriously make a killing!
16. Take online surveys: There are TONS of companies who will pay you to take market research surveys online! They’re free and easy to join and use. Here are a few companies that will pay you to take surveys:
- Survey Junkie (my personal favorite!)
- Inbox Dollars
- Opinion Outpost
- Pinecone Research
- American Consumer Opinion
Offer Services to Other People
17. Pet sitting: If you’re an animal lover, this one is seriously right up your alley! This could either mean you staying at someone else’s home, or having their pet stay with you. Either way, it’s a win-win because you’re getting paid to hand out with animals!
18. Babysitting: If pets aren’t your thing but you love kids, look for babysitting or nanny jobs instead! You’re not going to get rich taking care of someone else’s kids, but it’s definitely a way to make some extra money.
19. Housesit: Believe it or not, you can make money looking after someone’s home while they’re out of town. Sites like TrustedHousesitters can help you to connect with people who are looking for someone to housesit for them. This is even more lucrative an offer for people who are traveling and can save money by housesitting instead of paying for lodging. TrustedHousesitters is specifically for pet lovers!
20. Yard maintenance: You can make money by mowing lawns and doing other lawn maintenance in the summer or shoveling and plowing snow in the winter.
21. Clean homes: If you’re one of those rare people who really doesn’t mind cleaning, then getting paid to clean homes might be right up your alley!
22. Rent out your car: Apps like Turo allow you to rent your car to others for the day.
Sell Your Stuff
23. Sell on eBay: eBay is still a great place to sell used items and ship them to their new owner.
24. Sell on Craigslist: Craigslist is a great way to find local buyers you sell your used items. The one downside to Craigslist is meeting up with a stranger, so I always like to do this in a public place!
25. Sell on Facebook: Facebook’s marketplace makes it super easy to sell stuff online. I’ve had a lot of success with this. The big upside to Facebook over Craigslist is that it’s a little easier to vet the person you’re meeting up with.
26. Sell on Poshmark: If you’ve got a closet full of clothes you don’t wear, you can make extra money by selling them on Poshmark.
Make Extra Money at Your Job
27. Ask for a raise: Asking for a raise at your current job is a great way to make extra money because it doesn’t require you to take on extra work. You’re just making more doing the job you were already doing!
28. Work overtime: If you work an hourly job, consider working extra hours to make extra money.
29. Get a promotion: If there’s room to grow in your company, see if a promotion is available.
Other Ways to Make Extra Money
30. Pick up a seasonal job: During the holidays there are TONS of seasonal jobs available. This really comes in handy since the holidays are when most of us could use a little extra money anyways! In addition to a little extra money, you also might be able to take advantage of an employee discount for some of your Christmas shopping!
31. Sell plasma: Did you know there are companies who will pay you for your plasma? The process is similar to donating blood, but you get paid for it! A lot of friends of mine did this in high school and college for extra money, and you can earn about $50 per donation.
32. Sign up for credit card rewards: There are lots of credit cards that offer cash back for using them, or for spending a certain amount of money in the first three months. Make sure to only go this route if you really feel you’re responsible enough for a credit card (because let’s be honest, not everybody is).
33. Invest: Investing obviously isn’t a sure thing and it’s not as quick of a way to make money as some of the other things on this list. But if you have the money available, you might consider investing.
You can also use an app like Acorns, which will round up the spare change from your purchases and invest them. It’s 100% hands-off, and you aren’t investing a significant amount of money, so it’s a great way to start investing!
34. Become an Uber or Lyft driver: A part-time job that you can do completely on your own schedule is becoming an Uber or Lyft driver. You don’t have a schedule so you can work around your life, and you can make a lot of money if you’re available to drive at peak times.
35. Get a part-time job: Check out local businesses to find a part-time job. Jobs such as retail, serving, and bartending are ideal when you have your nights and weekends free.
BEFORE YOU GO
Let’s be real, most of us could really use a little extra income these days. Whether you’re trying to get out of debt or saving for a big goal, making a little extra money is a great way to do it. Hopefully one of the ideas on this list will speak to you and be just what you need to bring in a little extra money every month!